At LPA, the inquiry-based learning model is fundamental for enriching students’ perspective and increasing student exploration of the world around them. This model includes:
- Ensuring students have adequate content knowledge as the base from which to make informed inquiry.
- Capitalizing on the deeper learning opportunities available in a diverse learning community. LPA students learn to understand and evaluate content, problems and their own ideas for innovative thinking, with a fuller view of perspectives far beyond their own.
- A balanced-literacy approach with over 90 minutes of direct literacy instruction daily.
- Engaging with mathematical theories and practice through the highly rigorous program, Singapore Math.
- Science and social studies that are project-oriented, community-based explorations to encourage creativity and inquisition.
In addition to an in-depth approach to each of these core subjects, LPA students also enjoy physical education, technology, art and music classes from one to four times every week.
While academic success is essential, a critical component of our philosophy is the support and structure we provide students. LPA uses a style adapted from Responsive Classroom to ensure each child’s needs are met. Students have the opportunity to form close bonds with classmates through Community Circle (morning meeting), character education and student leadership development.
Our goal is for every student to achieve ambitious academic and personal outcomes. When a school feels like family and students believe they belong, they know they are cared for and supported to achieve their potential—no matter their socio-economic background.
To this end, our priorities are:
- Continuing to build a strong community that actively seeks diversity in all forms, with an additional emphasis on race and class.
- Intentionally engaging in relationship building and collaboration with students, families and community partners. We communicate regularly and provide opportunities for families to be invested in the LPA community.
- Fostering a rigorous, goal-oriented learning community that incorporates diverse perspectives, critical thinking, project-based learning and inquiry into all elements of instruction.